- Directly capture video from a range of sources or upload existing content into a central, online repository.
- Manage personal and shared video collections, publishing to specific users, groups or publicly as required.
- Edit video through a simple, easy to use editor or download for editing in high-end editing tools such as Premier or Final Cut.
- Access, share and manage video collections within Modules or Organisations on My Dundee.
- Share and embed videos in the same way you would with YouTube or Vimeo services.
- Supplement video experience with captioning, attached files, moderate-able comments, shared notes and a range of other functions and abilities.
- Create video based quizzes and assessments, with grades returned to the My Dundee grade centre if required.
- Set video submission assignments for students.
- Institutional portal for public distribution of video.
- Capture and distribute lectures and events (see below).
- Live streaming of events.
This service is primarily aimed at education related activities but can be accessed and used by anyone with a UoD login.
YuJa has a main web portal to access the service:
You can also access the service directly through your My Dundee modules, which gives you all the same tools and functionality as using the above portal (My Dundee is based on the Blackboard Learn platform):
Accessing YuJa through My Dundee bypasses the need to login since you’re already authenticated by the University authentication service.
Note that we will be creating a series of custom guides in the coming weeks to support our own specific use cases.
If you want start recording from your own desktop or laptop, you can download and install the software client by logging into the YuJa portal either directly or through My Dundee. Once in, you can click on the ‘Create Recording’ button at the top of the page and choose ‘Download and install’. This will allow you to download and manually install the client software on your own computer. Note that this may require a white-listing request to UoD IT to allow the programme to run, depending on your computer.
You can also access this support though the main YuJa interface by clicking on the person shaped icon on the top right of the page, and selecting ‘Support’.
If you have any training needs or ideas about how you might best use YuJa, we in CTIL are happy to hear from you. You can get in touch via help4u, noting that your query is for CTIL, and we’ll get back to discuss your needs.
Lecture capture is one key activity that YuJa is capable of supporting. However, we do not yet have an institutional approach to lecture recording so this functionality is currently supported on a support limited, opt-in basis. YuJa provides a complete software side solution for those wishing to record and distribute their teaching events, including automatic publishing to modules and organisations in My Dundee. YuJa also provides us with the potential to scale up both in terms of capability and scope in the future.
Teaching rooms are not currently equipped with video cameras or microphones for lecture recordings as standard. At present, those wanting to record will need to provide their own equipment.
For more information about recording teaching events, you can read our walk-through guide detailing how to go about it, or contact CTIL directly.
We will be consulting across the University to develop a more comprehensive approach to lecture recording and similar activities. In the mean time the capability is there for those who wish to use it. There is a relevant policy update currently making its way through the appropriate committee structures that we will link to here once complete.