In this the latest of the Flashback Friday Film Festival offerings from the University Archives we go back to 1987 a time of large hair and dubious fashion. Although shot more than 30 years ago this promotional film shows much that is familiar as well as reminding us of things that have gone. We see a slightly different entrance to the Tower building then catch a glimpse of the NCR factory and Tayside House. Back at the University a young Robin White greets students in the old Law Library and in Biological Sciences we see Janet Sprent and Brian Eddy both now Emeritus Professors in Life Sciences. Peter Le Comber, who with Walter Spear pioneered research into Liquid Crystal Display (making flat screen technology possible) also appears.  And does anyone remember the library in the Tower Building? At this time it was still situated where the Baxter Suite is now but we also see the building of the new library which was to be opened in 1988.

One thought on “Flashback Friday Film Festival: Introduction to UoD 1987

1. I am flattered to be remembered, and enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I believe the film got a BAFTA.
    Incidentally, my son, to whom I forwarded this, pointed out that he is older now than I was then, and also that he has more grey hair now than I did then. Which he puts down to his children being my troublesome than mine.
    Sgd

The Ever Young Robin White